Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards Member of SocietyThe CuredVerified VoterFeel Me, Fam?One Of Us

Round 1: Discussion & Predictions

Welcome to the very first week of The OnlyOne Writing League!! We're so glad you could join us as we begin this journey. Without further ado, here are your Week One matches, feel free to use this thread for any predictions and/or discussion regarding this week. We thank you for your time, effort, and support and hope you'll enjoy this season as much as we expect to.

@Vlad vs. @Nemean

@Baron X vs. @SELF ACTIVATE

@wes ghost vs. @Rude

@Enoch vs. @Nigma

@D.K.O.N. vs. @Dia

@Ness vs. @Sammy

@Treacherous vs. @Krowned Kris

@Vammy vs. @DBars

@Ocktavius vs. @SirNaerelionMarwa

@Slim MC vs. @OrpheusTheMagician
    Last edited by wes ghost; 11-01-2017 at 02:19 PM.

2. Thanks Ness, DBars, wes ghost thanked for this post
    Likes Ness, DBars liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards Verified VoterFeel Me, Fam?One Of UsStaff
    Oh so we doing predictions then? (EDIT: So, I'm about four predictions in rn and its very well possible that not a single one of my predictions will be right tbh. close af matches)

Vlad vs. Nemean -- Nem

Baron X vs. SELF ACTIVATE -- Baron X

wes ghost vs. Rude -- Wes

Enoch vs. Nigma -- Enoch

D.K.O.N. vs. Diasick -- D.K.O.N.

Ness vs. Sammy -- Nah, you won't catch me putting my foot in my mouth predicting my own match, especially not against a dope writer like Sammy lmfao

Treacherous vs. Krowned Kris -- Kris tbh

Vammy vs. DBars -- DBars

Ocktavius vs. SirNaerelionMarwa -- Ock

4. Thanks DBars, wes ghost thanked for this post
    Likes DBars liked this post
    Maestro of Multis
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards Member of SocietyVerified VoterFeel Me, Fam?One Of UsStaff
    I really need to make a mod award/badge it's one of the only ones left lol

Edit: I hadn't had time to think about predictions yet (and I don't like giving myself preconceived notions - but I was tired af for the vc last night and didn't participate much at all) For the record, All of these match-ups are close and could literally lean towards 1 or the other at the drop of a dime.

Vlad vs. Nemean -- Vlad (because - I know that Nem has Enoch in the PPV so that's gonna take some effort, and Vlad has been writing more as a whole recently, for the collabs and his own solo pieces and I feel like right now he's in his zone, of course like I said that could change instantaneously and Nem gets in his zone while writing for the Enoch battle)

Baron X vs. SELF ACTIVATE -- Self (I really don't want to count Baron X out and technically I'm not going to, but on the other hand I feel like Self has big point to prove and wants to redeem those losses from the SS tourney and I think he's going to to use this battle and the PPV to do so. Baron most certainly has the skill to take this it's definitely not going to be a 1 sided-battle)

wes ghost vs. Rude -- Wes (I'm stepping outside of my comfort zone so I can prepare for the Colosseum/Topical Storm so there's a good chance it's going to backfire in my face. And that's not saying I'd feel super-confident with any of the other topics/styles. Honestly I feel like this leans towards Wes no matter what the topic/style is. I am coming off a long hiatus. I don't know if I've said this before, but OWL will actually be the first League I've ever participated in besides KOTB but definitly first topical league period)

Enoch vs. Nigma -- Nigma (geez this one is close af, I hate to even try to call it. I'm gonna be honest, I'm only leaning Nigma because I know Enoch had the PPV to write for and Nigma has nothing else to kill right now - but I wouldn't be surprised at all if this went the other way)

D.K.O.N. vs. Diasick -- D.K.O.N. (so I've only barely scratched the surface of reading any of these two's topical work and knowing the context of some of DKONs now - I gotta gravitate that way with a prediction, I've only seen diss battle bars from Dia, so who knows? He could make me look stupid af)

Ness vs. Sammy -- Sammy (Ness you my homie, but sometimes I feel like Sammy is just out there in a class of his own. Not saying this will be a KO or shut-out. Ness could very well turn the tables on me here though)

Treacherous vs. Krowned Kris -- Treacherous (Sorry Kris, I have not made it into the GSL archives to check out your topicals. So for that I feel like Treach has been flexing his topical pen more, recently that is)

Vammy vs. DBars -- DBars (Vammy, you're still in that learning curve and the way you're picking new stuff up with every drop amazes me, but I feel like DBars is more seasoned and from some of the stuff I've read - I'm not even sure I can take a W from him)

Edit - Change in Match-Up

Ocktavius vs. Euniqe -- Ock (Ock came in as a rookie and surprised tf out of everybody, including but not limited to his opponents. Euniqe does have the upper hand with experience and writing longer pieces so this could easily turn in his favor.)

The Magician vs Slim MC -- Slim (I don't wanna count Magican out though, his wording is witty af. I just think that Slim has been doing the topical leagues long so she knows what's expected, and how to flip a topic to her advantage. If Magician stays in OWL, I see him picking up on what voters look for and collecting some Ws)
    Last edited by Rude; 11-05-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Match-Up Changed

6. Thanks wes ghost, Vlad thanked for this post
    Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to this
    Last edited by Krowned Kris; 11-01-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Vlad Vs @Nemean - This battle is stupid close. I wanna go with Vlad, I don't know why. Like, Nem will get 3 votes is my guess. Idk tbh, this is a toss up. I'm only slightly edging this to Vlad now that I think about it.

@Baron X Vs @SELF ACTIVATE - Baron can totally win this, Self could too. This'll be a matter of preference since each opponent will have two totally different tones. I got Baron for the win, he edges one category more. Thats my prediction.

@wes ghost Vs @Rude - hmm, this match up has a nice ring to it. It'll be the battle of emotion... Maybe. Depends, sometimes Wes sticks his middle finger up to that cat. Sometimes he makes love to it. Rude on the other hand, I believe she makes that a key element in her verses. I want Rude to bring her best verse ever and catch Wes by surprise. I also think shell do it, so I got Rude on this one.

@Enoch Vs @Nigma - another pretty close battle here. Since I like Nigma's approaches to his writing, I'm going with him. Rhet and Nig are neck and neck in topicals though. Rhet takes flow and emotion, Nig takes Imagery, creativity, and another category that earns him the win.

@D.K.O.N. Vs @Diasick - D.K.O.N. ALL THE WAAAAAY. I've always leaner in his direction with his writing. I still think about the lone soldier piece, blood and splinters (I think it was called). Dia doesnt fail to impress but not as much as DK does.

@Ness Vs @Sammy - I think this is just like Enoch and Nigma, a battle between two writers close in skill. I know Sam can kill it with the poetic language and take that literary category... But because I'm fairly certain Ness will take the Creativity category, I'm predicting Ness. It'll either be Ness based off of the creativity of his piece or Sammy based off of everything else. I think Sammy has creative ideas, I just don't think they can top Ness'

@Treacherous - round two buddy. Good luck.

@Vammy Vs @DBars - I think the last two battles should've switched opponents. I'd rather see DBars and Ock against each other. Vammy isn't bad, he's proving himself... But I already have high expectations for DBars... So DBars with the KO.

@Ocktavius vs @EUNIQE - EDIT - Ok soooooo, did the slaughter actually change? I'm not too sure actually. Ocktavius still has a good brain for out-of-the-box concepts. He may just need to tighten up on the technical aspect. Xenon though, I don't think topicals are his bread and butter. He's going up against a dude that does nothing but topicals, and he started off really dope too. My guess is that Ock still takes this in LESS of a slaughter than the first match up.

@Slim MC Vs @OrpheusTheMagician - so Orpheus is just as new as SirNaerlion right? Maybe I'm wrong. If I'm right, then Slim is more experienced to take this win. If I'm wrong, then idk because I haven't seen any drops from Magician. Never forget that Slim can have her bad days, maybe Magic will capitalize on it... Maybe not.... I got Magic with the surprising win.
    Last edited by Krowned Kris; 11-05-2017 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Match up change

9. Thanks DBars, wes ghost thanked for this post
    Likes DBars liked this post
    An Writer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards Feel Me, Fam?One Of Us
    I don't give a single, minuscule divided fuck about the rest of y'all battles, all I know is I'm bout to KO the shit out of DBars and there ain't shits none of you young niggas can do about it.

Signed da goat ya bitch

11. Thanks wes ghost thanked for this post
    Likes Rude liked this post
    Dislikes DBars disliked this post
    Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awards One Of UsVerified VoterPhilanthropist
    Quote Originally Posted by Vammy View Post
    I don't give a single, minuscule divided fuck about the rest of y'all battles, all I know is I'm bout to KO the shit out of DBars and there ain't shits none of you young niggas can do about it.

Signed da goat ya bitch
    That's the team spirit! You'll go far, young man. But don't go too far. I'd rather win by KO than by knosho.

But for real, good luck to you man. Let's give the people a classic.

13. Likes wes ghost, Rude liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Vladvs. @Nemean -- CLOAK & DAGGER UP IN THIS BITCH. BOTW, is my prediction. But tbh it will prolly be a ko or tko one way or another. One of yall bout to body the fuck out of the other. Even though I rest my head next to vlad at night, i got nem on this one.

@Baron X vs. @SELF ACTIVATE -- Fuck. Wtf. Multis vs Soul. Baron is probably the most mechanically sound rhymer on the site and self probably has the widest breadth of soul and heart in his writing. Baron has been tearing through the other websites this past month, but I still got SELF taking this one. The content will just be too hard to beat.

@wes ghost vs. @Rude -- Yes, I'm starting week 1 off with an L. I'm well aware. People WERE sleeping on Rude just cause she hadn't been around as of late (I'd never heard of her). She was just this chick who did graphics and was crewed up with bagelbites. Low and behold, she is as dope as any of us. We know she'll out-rhyme me, but hopefully I can make up for that with some dope metaphors/one-liners. Going into this, I think she has me beat in the categories....don't sleep on my poetic device usage tho, rude!!

@Enoch vs. @Nigma --- We got a inner c&d battle and an inner round table battle. This one is a potential BOTW, easily. Both of these dudes are fam af and are both in line to champ the season. If you don't already know, you bout to find out. I got this one as a TIE tbh. I'm a fan of the random phrasing that nigma comes up with, but enoch is more mechanically sound, IMO. A fucking toss up, to be certain. Coming down to time spent/effort.

@D.K.O.N. vs. @Dia --- Yoooo, Dia has wanted this battle for a fucking long ass minute. YOU GOT IT BB BOY! Dia has grown a lot as a person, as a friend, a colleague, and, most importantly, as a writer. Darrow should probably take this W, but I'm not counting diasick out. He KO'd me back on RR, so there's that. If DKON sleeps, he gonna get bodied. And I would assume, without knowing his schedule, that Dia is gonna go balls deep on this one (yes, i chose that phrase very specifically haha).

@Ness vs. @Sammy --- This is dope. At first glance, I have Sammy taking this. Ness has stepped TF UP tho. Sammy is better with wording and Ness nails the emotion/connects easily with the reader. If sammy can tighten his schemes and make them a bit more apparent, I have him taking this. If not, Ness will make him pay.

@Treacherous vs. @Krowned Kris --- Here we fucking go! Battle of the young bloods paving a way for themselves! I'm super stoked on this one. I got treach taking it. As long as he finds time to get his rhymes out....his content and huge brain should get him the W. He is one of the smarter dudes on the site so he needs to use that to his advantage. Kris is an all-arounder. He is good at pretty much everything, but gets GREAT every other piece he drops. He needs to get one of those fire drops out for this battle cause treacherous generally catches his opponent and the voters by surprise after they sleep on him. Potential BOTW, easily.

@Vammy vs. @DBars --- This will be a true test. DBars, as we all know, has the ability to champ the season. Consistency isn't normally his greatest ally but that's due to life situations....not talent or skill level. I've always made it known that his and nemean's doper pieces are my fav of all time. Their headiness and out of control rhyme schemes are what inspire me to no end. I got DBars taking this one, but if life gets the best of him, Vammy's thirst could get him the win. It will be cool to see what Vamm a lamm a ding dong pulls out against this Vet. All eyez on Vam tho, fr fr. Vam, I HIGHLY suggest you read some of dbars' past shit. He doesn't write like ANYONE else.

@Ocktavius vs. @SirNaerelionMarwa --- Fuck ya. Ock finna catch that AcapulKO? Jose is 100% new to this, so yall should just be fucking proud and stoked that we've inspired someone to pick this up out of the blue. English isn't even his first language. Ock is new to this, but not new to the basics of it all. He has written some smaller pieces but nothing of this extent. I got him winning this, but YOU NEVER FUCKING KNOW.....in the same sense that we didn't know what to expect from him on RR......same goes for jose (sir). Really really proud of you both and stoked to know yall.

@Slim MC vs. @OrpheusTheMagician --- Wooooo! I got Slim taking this one. She been on a roll last season at RR. She has grown tremendously. She's our fam's lil sis and we luh this bish. Mage is the fucking homey. Showed up outta nowhere and is an integral part of our community. I really dig this dude and his brain is big af. His ideas are lofty, but he's still figuring out how to get it on paper (much like self savior). He is an audio dude so hopefully this will help his craft out some! Good looks on this one. Good luck yall!

r.i.p. jonny & luna
    cloak&dagger

15. Thanks DBars, Enoch thanked for this post
    Likes Krowned Kris, Enoch, DBars liked this post
    Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Vlad vs. @Nemean

Im honestly still unfamiliar with Nemean's work. Im extremely familiar with Vlad's work, and his writing habits. Vlad comes out stronger in at the start of leagues then he finishes tbh, i think for this opening battle, it puts the ball in his court. Also, Nemean will be using all his brain cells going against me in the PPV hahah. . .
    @Baron X vs. @SELF ACTIVATE

Great battle here, and really, its just a damn toss up. i think SA can edge this one out by matching Baron in every category, but taking it in flow giving him a narrow win.

@wes ghost vs. @Rude

geez, another hard call to make. Rudes writing is super intricate and has a touch of beauty to her wording that only few writers are known to produce, However, Wes has great mechanics and works magic with his concepts and ideas. . damn it. . . im just going to say Rude, but again, it more or less just for the sake of predicting someone to win, and i wont allow myself to predict a tie
    @Enoch vs. @Nigma

Enoch has no depth and uses too many big words. Fuck that guy.
    @D.K.O.N. vs. @Dia

Im going to pull for the underdog on this one. I think hes an underdog lol . . . Dia has made such vast improvements, and i think this league will be the time where he takes all that experience and really puts it all to use to deliver some heavy hitting verses, at least early on in the league.

@Ness vs. @Sammy

again, this is another coin flip, Im only picking sammy here because i know how capable he is of stealing the show with his brilliant wording, and storytelling. Really looking forward to this one.
    @Treacherous vs. @Krowned Kris

im out of touch with both of these writers to be honest. . i think. . . im just picking Kris. . because. . ummm. . . i just picked one haha. I will know more about them as we get further into the league

@Vammy vs. @DBars

I really like Vammy's unorthodox attack on topics, they are sort of like controlled chaos to me. . but i feel like he needs a little more polish to fend off Dbars. . but he could prove us all wrong

@Ocktavius vs. @SirNaerelionMarwa

Im not familiar with either, but ive heard good things about Ock, so im just taking a wild guess here
    @Slim MC vs. @OrpheusTheMagician

again, not really familiar. . . just a roll of the dice on this one. . . i just need to familiarize myself with them more to make an educated prediction.
    Last edited by Enoch; 11-01-2017 at 06:41 PM.

17. Thanks DBars, wes ghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vammy View Post

Signed da goat ya bitch
    lmao you a crazy sonnabitch

r.i.p. jonny & luna
    cloak&dagger